[dropcap]I[/dropcap] went to my first live networking event today, and I am so glad that I did. It was a really good event and I loved meeting other people on an entrepreneurial journey, who had positive things to say and did not make you feel intimidated, even though I seemed to be one of only two people who were brand new. Why would you go to a networking event? My answer is that you don’t know what you are going to get, ( at least apart from meeting people and swapping ideas) but at the very least you will learn a thing or two.
My takeaways from todays event at Fabulous Women and Marvellous Men were in no particular order:
- The difference between a heart attack and a cardiac arrest. Maybe a lady of my experience should’ve known this, but I did not. The moving speech by the owner of FWaFM ( sorry had to shorten it) made me realise that I would not know what to do if a person next to me was having a heart attack. It’s now a personal goal to learn this.
- A way of looking at optimism compared to positivity. Whereas remaining positive in a negative situation is ok in fact its good, being optimistic is better, because that’s a realisation the negative situation is only temporary and one is hopeful that it can be turned around. Its forward looking. Its about the language.
- Its good to talk: through talking and listening I learnt that several of us had the same or similar issues at the beginning of our journey.
- I knew this, but it was really good to have it confirmed, you can be yourself! This has made me think that I may need to reconsider how I use my twitter handle.
- That you you can publish articles on LinkedIn, of this I had no idea.
- That one really should look before they leap, I did not know there are groups where you are pressured to bring in business. hmm Thanks be to God for FWaFM read the small print people
- I had a really good time and I really liked the people I met there, I may have said this already, but to know me, is to know that is very important to me.
It’s personal growth and you never know where its going to strike, always be open and ready to learn and change. Are you feeling Fabulous or Marvellous, you may like to learn more about this organisation, If this is the case please click below:
What a fabulous article. I’m so glad you enjoyed your first networking event and that it was FWaMM (yes fine to shorten!), I’ll look forward to meeting you soon and if you are ever in West London you would be very welcome at Chiswick (fourth Friday 10-12)
Thank you. i am already looking forward to it.
So pleased to have met you Nike and that you enjoyed your first meeting with us 🙂 Thank you for sharing your experience – appreciated 🙂 Looking forward very much to meeting you again soon 🙂 Stay fabulous x
Thank you, I really enjoyed your speech and the whole experience.