[dropcap]W[/dropcap]e officially entered the season of autumn last weekend, the evenings are drawing in, and the weather has most certainly taken a turn for the worse. Naturally we become more reflective at this time of the year. This time of the year, is fantastic time to think about how to set goals in life.
You know the old ritual of setting new years resolutions? The ones we break before the end of January? Well this is much more useful, this is a process designed to make you think about your desires, what you want and what your purpose it. Deep right?
The thing is, it has been proven that the happiest people are those who have purpose and clarity in their lives. People who strive and achieve things. So how do you set goals?
There are many ways, but one thing for sure, its a must that you write down your goals. You can do this pictorially, ( vision board) or you can write them in a journal. If you know your purpose, then your goals should centre around that, either way, its really good practice to begin with the end in mind. This is principle made popular by Stephen R Covey in his book the 7 habits of highly effective people. This means in essence develop habits centred around achieving your goals.
How to set goals in life:
- Decide what you want. I am not just talking material things, here its about what and who you want to be. It could be about changes and improving what you have already.
- Asses. you can divide your life into sections and assess the on a scale of 1-10, for example health, finance recreation, relationships etc. Ask yourself pertinent questions about each section, and give your self a score. You have to be honest, then depending on the answer, give yourself a score out of 10. Anything less than a 7 means you may want to change somethings in that area, In which case you will need to set some goals around it.
- Define: looking at the assessment, check out your scores. What was wrong? What you you like to change? So for example in the area of finance you scored a 6, what would you want to change. Do you need more money? How much More? How can this be achieved? Do you need to change jobs and increase your income, or do you want to reduce your expenditure or indeed just get a second income. For example, if you need more income, your goal could be to get a new job that pays more. Ask these questions, and set these goals for each area that you identified you want to improve.
- Make sure the goals are SMART. Now we all know what SMART means So I will focus on specific and achievable. Specific does not just mean something in particular make it specific to you, what you want and / or desire. It must not be something that you feel obligated to do, but something you really want that will make you happy, and as Albert Einstein says, if you can think it, you can achieve it. So in setting your goals its important not to contract into yourself. The goals can be big and lofty, what you will need to do is break them down into smaller chunks.
- Make an action plan. Write it down. I must press the importance of this, In your acton plan, you decide when you want it by and commit to it.
- One of the key things in how to set goals in life is deciding why you want the goal. This is my far the most important step really, why? This is where your motivation to execute your plan will come from. The why should be part of your wider purpose, this is what will enable you to get back on track if there are obstacles.
- Be prepared, you will be outside of your comfort zone. Yes, outside. Its simple, if you want different things, you need to do different things.
Why Setting and striving for goals will make you happy
Now, lets talk about how setting goals in life will make you happy. The key really is in the process, if you have a genuine desire for something, and it fits in with your purpose in life, then surely the pursuit of it will only make you happy. If you desire something really badly and you don’t go after it, it stands to reason then that will make you unhappy and filled with regret.
Sometimes you may start out on a journey, and find genuinely that its the wrong path for you. Do not fret! It just means that you may need to rethink. Always make your goals fluid. No, not as away of procrastination, but be sure to be open to opportunities that will foster your purpose.
How to set goals in life: a little help
Are you ready to create your life? Don’t let your situation control you, you control it. Why not down load my Mini life assessor to kick start your transformation. Click here
Do feel free to email me if you would like help with anything. firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a glorious day, read 10 pages, be kind to yourself.
Why not follow me on twitter
Have you got something to say? Why not say get a blog like this one? Click here